Do you want to know the Gmail SMTP server settings because you want to send and receive emails from another email client on your Gmail? By knowing the Gmail SMTP, IMAP, and POP server settings you will be able to link up your Gmail account with any other email client including Outlook, Thunderbird, AOL, and so on. Thus, we have made all the necessary details available here so that you can easily achieve your purpose.
The incoming and outgoing server settings of any email client play an important role in the configuration process. So, here is the explanation of the same:
Incoming server settings- the incoming mail server settings serve as the storehouse for those emails that are yet to be delivered to your inbox. These settings include POP, POP3, or IMAP settings which store the emails that you receive and then send them directly to your inbox.
Outgoing server settings- on the other hand, outgoing mail server settings shall be required when you need to respond or reply to those emails that have arrived in your inbox. This only includes the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server which is as important as Incoming server settings.
What are Gmail POP, IMAP, and SMTP server settings?
Gmail account SMTP settings
- SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP port: 587
- SSL protocol: off
- TLS protocol: on
- SMTP username: (your Gmail username)
- SMTP password: (your Gmail password)
Gmail POP server settings
- POP3 host: pop.gmail.com
- POP3 port: 995
- TLS protocol: on
- POP3 username: your Gmail username
- POP3 password: your Gmail password
Gmail IMAP server settings
- IMAP host: imap.gmail.com
- IMAP port: 993
- Encryption: SSL
- IMAP Username: your Gmail username
- IMAP password: your Gmail password
You can also use these, settings if you are looking for Gmail settings for a printer. To know more, you can always have a visit https://developers.google.com/Gmail/IMAP/IMAP-SMTP
What are the Gmail settings for iPhone?
- Before we get to the rest of the steps, you need to enable IMAP settings in Gmail:
- Open Gmail and tap on the gear icon.
- Open Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Tap ‘Enable IMAP’ in the IMAP Access section.
- Do not make any other changes and then save the settings.
- Now, open iPhone and go to its ‘Settings.’
- Navigate to the ‘Passwords & accounts section and tap ‘Add account.’
- Select ‘Google’ and type in your Gmail address.
- Tap ‘Next’, enter the password, and tap ‘Next’ again.
- Take the ‘Mail’ toggle towards the ‘ON’ position and ‘Save’ the settings.
Here are the Gmail settings for Outlook
- First, enable the IMAP settings as mentioned above.
- Then, tap on the ‘File’ tab in Outlook.
- Select the ‘Add Account’ button in the account settings.
- Now, select ‘Manual Setup’ and choose ‘Next.’
- Choose ‘POP or IMAP’ from the options and select ‘Next.’
- Now, enter the following details in the IMAP account:
- For Account type- enter POP or IMAP
- For Incoming mail server- enter imap.gmail.com
- In the Outgoing mail server- type smtp.gmail.com
- And, enter your Gmail id and password
- Now, select ‘More Settings’ and tap on the Outgoing Server tab.
- Tick-mark the box next to ‘My outgoing server requires authentication.’
- After that, choose ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server.’
- Now, tap on the ‘Advanced’ tab and enter these details:
- Incoming server for IMAP- 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection- SSL/TLS
- Outgoing server (SMTP)- 465 or 587
- Outgoing server encrypted connection- SSL/TLS
- Click ‘OK’ after entering these details and then tap ‘Next.’
- Select ‘Close the window’ and you will see the ‘You’re all set’ message on your screen.
Gmail settings for Thunderbird
- Before you move on, enable the IMAP settings in Gmail.
- Now, open your Thunderbird account.
- Go to the Mail Account Setup page from the ‘Settings’ menu.
- Type your name, email address, password, and hit the ‘Continue’ button.
- Now, tap on the box next to IMAP (remote folders) and select ‘Manual config.’
- Under the Server hostname section, enter the following details:
- Incoming: imap.gmail.com
- Port : 993 (SSL) or 143
- Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
- Port : 25 or 465 (SSL)
- Now, Click ‘Re-test’ and select ‘Create Account.’
- To check or read any Gmail messages on Thunderbird, click on ‘read messages.’
Here are the Gmail settings for Android
- Primarily, enable the IMAP settings on Gmail.
- Tap on the email icon on your android.
- Now, enter your email ID and password.
- Click on the ‘Manual Setup’ option and select ‘IMAP’ account.
- On the screen that appears, enter your Gmail username and password.
- For the incoming server settings, enter these details:
- IMAP Server- imap.gmail.com
- Port- 993 or 143
- Security type- SSL
- Tap on the ‘Next’ option.
- For outgoing server settings, enter the following:
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: Either 25 or 465
- Security type: SSL
- Hit the ‘Next’ button and select the frequency for email checking.
- Click ‘Done’ in the end.
As you must have seen in the sections given above, that only certain settings vary on different email clients and the rest of the settings are similar. Therefore, you should not worry even if your email client is not listed here. You can use the similar Gmail SMTP server settings and POP or IMAP settings for other email clients as well.