Sometimes, you may receive a “Cannot Get Mail” error message on your iPhone and iPad. Though, it is a common error message on the iOS device and makes users unable to retrieve new emails or new mail account. The full error message is indicated as “Cannot Get Mail – The connection to the server failed”. Whenever this pop-up window appears, it is very important for the users to fix this error at the earliest. This error prevents email from working properly or as expected. Here, in this article, we have mentioned some technical methods to fix the “cannot get mail” error.
How do I Fix the iOS device error “Cannot Get Mail”?
There can be many reasons behind this error, so it is very important to find the exact cause of the problem. Once you find the exact reason behind this issue, you can follow the steps given below to solve the error:
Method 1: Check the Internet Connection
First of all, before applying any technical method, check whether you have a stable internet connection. The slow data connection & if the mail server connection is failed, then you may be unable to receive emails on your iOS devices.
Method 2: Remove and Re-enter mail account
Sometimes the email server does not accept the incoming and outgoing server information of your account and this creates a problem. It is important for users to remove their mail account and add it again. You need to follow the steps given below to remove and re-enter mail account:
- Firstly, open the settings of your iOS device and click on the “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” option.
- In the new screen, click on the “Delete Account” option.
- Then again go to the “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” window and tap the “Add Account” option.
- Now, you have to choose the email provider, like Yahoo mail or Exchange, whatever you are using. Then, sign in to your email account.
- After completing the login process, refresh the mail messages and check if the error is resolved.
Method 3: Restart network setting
You can also restart the network settings to fix the error message “Cannot Get Mail”. For this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open your iOS device and navigate to the “Settings” option.
- Then, click on the “General” tab and then tap the “Reset” option.
- In the reset popup window, click on the “Reset Network Settings” option.
- After completing the whole process restarts your iPhone or iPad.
- Then again, open the device and check if the error still persists.
Method 4: Restart the IOS device
If the problem still exists even after trying the above methods, you can restart the IOS device so to get rid of the “Cannot Get Mail” error. All you have to do is press the power button of your iOS device for a while. Wait for two-three minutes and then turn on the IOS device and check the error.
Method 5: Factory reset your iPhone
Consider this as the last method to fix the problem of unable to get mail. Hard resetting or factory resetting your device may lose all your data from iPhone or iPad. It is recommended to always back up your device in iTunes or iCloud before performing a hard reset.
Whenever you encounter “Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed” while accessing mails on your iPhone, check your cellular data or Wi-Fi. If that is OK, then apply other troubleshooting methods such as re-entering your mail account, restarting the iOS device, or rebooting it. Remember, solutions like Resetting the Network Settings and Factory Resetting may lead to iPhone data loss. It is advised to apply such methods after trying everything.